Below are some answers to frequently asked questions about the Discover Magic course.
These questions and answers are more general. For specific answers about the classes offered near you, we encourage you to identify your local Discover Magic presenter and contact them.
- What is Discover Magic?Discover magic is a premium magic course designed by a team of award winning magicians and educators. We help children develop critical people skills that are quickly fading in today's technology centric society.
- How does Discover Magic teach life skills?We like to say this is not a magic class with life skills sprinkled in, it is a life skills course that also teaches magic. Each class features one of the 8 traits of a true magician and the kids learn tricks and watch videos that reinforce these traits.
- Does learning magic really help kids develop social skills?Yes, magic is an interactive art. We feel the most important benefits to be derived from magic come from performing for others. There is a complex cycle of verbal and non-verbal communication flowing between the performer and the people watching that is unique to magic. So we’ve developed a system that will insure every child gets to perform for someone, several times, in the positive, nurturing classroom environment.
- My child is really shy. Will he be able to do this?Yes. We have created a totally safe and nurturing environment for your child's first few performances inside every class, and try particularly hard to insure a child's confidence has every opportunity to grow from the very beginning.
- My daughter is interested in magic. Will this be appropriate for girls?Yes. Although historicaly, more boys than girls get into magic, that is changing. There are more girls than ever before performing magic and the percentage of girls learning magic is increasing every year! Discover Magic was developed with this in mind.
- My son has already learned some magic from YouTube, will this still be appropriate for him?Absolutely. To begin, it's unlikely he would have learned any of these specific tricks any place else. Plus, we believe that just knowing the secret to how something is done is only the beginning. The really important things magic has to offer a child will come from learning the 8 traits of a true magician and applying them.
- Other than the list of materials that accompanies the class, will there be anything else to buy or any other expenses?No, in most cases there will be nothing else to buy, but depending on your presenter there may be exceptions. For example, there could be a bonus magic shop at the end of the course or an optional magic class reunion ice cream party with a magic show at the end of the summer.
- What kind of tricks are you going to teach?Discover Magic features a wide range of tricks from making things appear and disappear to reading minds and passing a solid through a solid. Many of these tricks are unique to our program and they all feature a kid friendly presentation.
- Will the tricks learned fool adults?Yes! We teach a wide variety of tricks and many will legitimately fool adults. Others may not, but they serve a purpose in teaching the kids how to respond in a variety of situations. For example, someone saying "Can I see that?" or "I think I know how you did that."
- My child has never done magic before. Will she be able to do these tricks?Yes. Every trick is simple enough for a beginner and designed for small hands. No prior experience is necessary.
- My child has never expressed interest in becoming a magician is that ok?Yes. Even if your child has never expressed interest in magic, most kids love watching and learning magic tricks. Usually after the first class your child will be thrilled they are learning the secrets to magic!
- Does every presenter offer the exact same experience?No. Discover Magic is the curriculum, so while the tricks and life skills will be consistent from presenter to presenter, the format and other elements added will vary. For example, some presenters may offer the full course in 5 days while others will offer it in 8 or 10 days. Discover Magic could be offered as a full day summer camp or as an after school program. Some presenters may choose to end with a public show and others may choose to end with a pizza party. For more details about how the program is being offered in your area visit the website of the presenter near you.